Thursday, August 14, 2014

All Girl BBQ


For the last 10 years I have hosted an All Girl BBQ in early August. It's similar to a Naked Lady Party but with hair dye, nail polish and make-up. A friend of mine use to have these every year and when she left Portland, I found myself longing for a day of trading clothes, eating great food and trying many different colors of nail polish. Sometimes after her parties I would go home looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show. 
A few of the same outfits would come back year after year, someone taking it home only to bring it back the next year…as with this gem. I love this 3 piece pant suit it looks like something that Maude would wear. 




One of the things I love about the BBQ is the little girls in my neighborhood love to come to these events. They dye their hair and try on all kind of make-up as well as playing dress up. Last year one of the neighbor girls Sophie was devastated that the party was the same weekend as horse camp. I explained that I would save her some cute clothes and when she got back I would dye her hair. This year Sophie did her own hair..as well as offering to do hair wraps for everyone at the BBQ. 



Anyway, no matter what you call it, All Girl BBQ, Naked Lady Party or clothes swap, it's always fun to spend a day with creative like minded ladies. I also get a wonderful new (to me) wardrobe. Some of the pieces of clothing end up in my studio waiting to be re-purposed, but a lot of things are donated to a local thrift shop. If you ever get a chance to go to an event like this…go it's good for your soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment