Monday, February 22, 2016

A Kitten Quilt

I received Elizabeth Hartman's quilt pattern "The Kittens" for Christmas. Since made her Fancy Fox quilt before the holidays and really wanted to try the kitten pattern. When I looked at the pattern I saw that there were a lot of small pieces. The eye's and noses are 1 1/2 x1 1/2 inch pieces. That scared me as I had tried some of Tula Pinks City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks and I did not do well with all the small pieces. I also have a hard time cutting out small pieces and made some mistakes when I was cutting. 

In several of the blocks you need 3 1/2 x 3 inch piece as well as 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch I had to be very diligent about marking and separating the pieces for the blocks. I cut out one block at a time then sewed it together, then another block and sewed it get the picture. It was very time consuming but it kept me from making too many mistakes (of course there were a couple mistakes, but that is to be expected for the first time). I would also lay out the blocks so I knew what piece when where...this helped keep every thing organized.
I also marked my sewing line on the fabric when I first started making the blocks, it really helped me get a straight line when sewing the angels. After you make a few of these you don't need to mark the fabric but when you first start out it really helps. 

You can see that the marked line will disappear when you stitch the pieces together so no need to worry about the lines showing, they are all in the seam.  

This is a really cute quilt block and it's worth taking the extra time to cut the small squares and make the blocks. The final size of the block is 8 1/2 x 10 1/2. Mine are a little off but I can manage that when I add the sashing between the blocks. I may even get ambitious and make the glasses to go on one of the kittens. 

Thursday, February 18, 2016

A few pieces of black clothing

It's been awhile since I posted anything. I have not been really busy so I'm not sure what has kept me from writing. It snowed here just after the new year. It was a beautiful couple of days.

I finished the Red Fox Quilt and gave it to our friend Chuck.  I used Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox pattern...great pattern by the way. The quilt is about 48x40. I used a very soft flannel sheet on the back with a very modern pattern.
A couple of weeks ago I spent a Sunday afternoon making several pieces of black clothing. I had some knit/fleece fabric that I bought sitting in the studio and wanted to try to make a warm shirt. I have made several of the Jalie 2805 tee shirts and I think these are my favorite. They fit nicely and go together in about an hour. I bought a couple of cotton jersey bed sheets and practiced with those to make sure I really liked the end result. I have posted about making these shirts previously.  This time I made the shirt with a knit/fleece type of material that I had in my stash. Since the fabric is thicker the shirt is nice and warm.The only thing I would have done different is make it a crew neck instead of a V-neck, for some reason the fabric stretched out quite a bit around the neck. I had enough of the fabric left that I made a pair of leggings. I had some issues again with the elastic waist band again…but they fit and are nice and warm. I need to read about sewing with elastic then do a bunch of tests. I hate muslins or testing materials...even though I know it will help me in the end. I also made another little bag, this one with some of the left over Pendleton that I use to make my husbands Christmas shirt this year. 
I then pulled out some black rayon type fabric…again not sure where it bought the fabric or what the exact content is but it flows nicely & has a nice drape. I had a cotton slip that I really loved but the slip was falling apart. I made a difficult decision to take it apart so I could make a pattern. I had made a slip from the pattern a couple of years ago but since i used a quilting cotton the slip/dress was a little stiff. I made it again from a seersucker type of material and I loved it. Though I think the shoulder straps were a bit too thin. I felt the rayon type fabric was perfect, I could wear the slip/dress under a sweater in the winter or as a nice summer dress.

When I made the pattern the first time I felt the underarms were a little strange. So I looked a the original pieces and decided to add about 1/2" to the underarms. Well that was a little too much because now the underarms are too large. I think I have to use a facing or hem the neck and arms to make it fit better. That of course did not stop me from wearing the dress under a warm sweater last week. I'm always looking for simple summer dresses because I live in them all summer long. I think this pattern will work nicely after a few more tweaks. I guess I have to get out my pattern making books and read up on how to make the pattern to fit properly.