Sunday, August 3, 2014


Why I like to create


My great grandmother instilled something in me that made me feel good when I made something for myself. When I was about 11 or 12 my mother asked me if I wanted to take sewing lessons or babysit my brothers for the summer. I chose the sewing lessons. I made a skirt that was cut on the bias, I had no idea what a bias was at the time. It was a blue skirt with a Mickey Mouse patch on the bottom. I have no idea what happened to that skirt. I know I wore it for quite a while as I was very proud of what I had made. I continued to sew some garments through high school, including a pink Gunne Sax dress for my prom. I remember one day in high school a girl talking about going to San Francisco to get her prom dress so that no one else had one like hers. When prom came someone else had her exact same dress, they got it out at the mall in suburbs. Even thought Gunne Sax was popular at the time, no one else had a dress like mine.
This is the first Alabama Chanin Skirt I made, I wear it all the time

 A log cabin quilt that I made a couple of years ago and gave to my father in law. He passed away last year and it came back to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment