Monday, January 12, 2015




I forgot to tell you about the Tula Pink Quilt I completed on New Years Eve. I bought a jelly roll of Tula Pink's fabric line called Moon Shine last spring. I really loved the  colors and the designs were quite cute. When I received the jelly roll I drew a blank..I didn't know what to do with it, so it sat in my studio for about 6 months. I looked at the patterns and kept thinking what could I make that would look amazing. I finally stopped looking and jumped in. I cut all the strips into 4" squares and started to sew them together into 9 patches. I thought I would add a binding around the blocks but once I had the blocks completed I was inspired by all the color. I decided to sew all the blocks together kind of like a postage stamp quilt with larger squares. I can not imagine making a large quilt with 2" squares, maybe one day I will make one. Anyway, I completed the tip but hit a road block when I could not decide what to do with the backing. I didn't want to go buy any more fabric (I have a lot already) so I dug through my stash to see what would match. I found some bright turquoise fabric that I felt matched nicely, and since I had some 4" squares left over I made a line across the back with a 9 patch as an accent lower on the back of the quilt. I then left the quilt unsure what to do with the binding. I found some bright pink fabric at my favorite craft store Scrap. I have talked about Scrap in the past, they have fabric for about $2 a yard. If you are looking for some inspiration it's a great place to visit. I bought about 10 yards of a bright pink cotton that I used to make my Western Christmas shirt this year. I thought the pink was a nice accent to the quilt and used it as the binding. I quilted it with simple straight lines following the squares. I used a walking foot on my home machine finally finished this lovely gem of a quilt. My husband says it reminds him of sunshine. It's bright and I use on my lap while we watch movies during these cold winter months. I'm getting better at quilting on my home machine as long as the quilt is not too large. I still have a king size quilt that I have to complete for my sister, but that will have to be done on the long arm machine up at Modern Domestic or I will have to pay someone to complete it for me. It's next up on my to do list as it's been sitting in my studio ready for over 6 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment